Saturday, February 19, 2011

Why I want to do what I am about to do

MD… Medical Doctor. Many of us know doctors, or know people who know doctors. And when they are referenced in conversation, it usually goes something like this: “Oh yea, my one friend is an endocrinologist.” Or “I met a woman who was a cardiothoracic surgeon and...”In just a few words a physician can be described; however, it took more than just a few years for them to acquire those two letters following their name. I hope what I am about to do is not seen as a pat-on-the-back for the profession I am entering, or a petition to praise the many who have chosen to study medicine as if they were better than others. Rather, it is a story; and more particularly, it is my story about my journey.

After 16 grueling (though I’m afraid the meaning of this adjective will quickly change over the next few years) months of nearly nonstop studying, it came time for me to finally apply to medical school. So much work had been invested and now I was ready to share with medical schools why I thought I was a good candidate to study medicine and become a physician. As the application process progressed, I quickly realized how unique this experience was. Many students begin undergrad as “pre-med majors,” (a commonly heard phrase, but one that makes no sense considering there actually isn’t a specific pre-med major), but less than half make it to the day when they can click submit on their AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) applications. While my mind was consumed with anxiety and apprehension about whether or not I would get accepted, I found a small crevice of space left to reflect on what I was doing. And, after meeting and interacting with others in my position, it became clear that becoming a doctor is a journey not easily explained.

One thing you should know about me is that I love telling stories; another, however, is that I hate writing. As you may now be thinking, this is a bad combination for someone who wants to share his thoughts and experiences without having to verbally repeat them 956,403 times. I once half-jokingly told my English-major friend that he should write a book about people becoming doctors, starting from undergrad, because it is such a unique endeavor (and the book would probably sell because it would be read by either the thousands of students who dream of becoming a doctor or the bazillions of “preoccupieds” who want to know where everything comes from—their food, their clothes, and even their doctors.) Unfortunately, my friend didn’t take me seriously and so this is what I set out to do—to share my journey with you over the next 7+ years. I’m sorry to say that I did not begin writing this at the start of undergrad (I’m sure you’re quite upset), but I hope to spend a short time recapping my past four years, as it relates to my getting into medical school and beginning my medical career, and then continue on a regular basis as my medical education progresses. So, do what I will be doing for the next 6 yea…9…11...no, for the rest of my life: sit back and grab a cup of coffee. This is going to be a long ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment