A week and a half ago I graduated from Calvin College…and that’s it. It’s funny. You spend so much time at one place studying, figuring out who you are, making friends, eating, talking, learning, and working that in doing so, that place becomes your home. Then in one day, it all crumbles. Okay, that might be a slight overstatement, but its odd how fast it all happens. The weeks before graduation, I was so excited for the big day when I would receive my diploma and celebrate my accomplishments over the past four years, but when I think back to graduation day, it was all a blur. (I do remember how my wonderful family was there and that meant so much!)
As I think back on my community at Calvin, that’s what college is all about. It was the late night talks with friends about deep life issues; partaking in the spontaneous, not-really-my-cup-of-tea ideas of others, going to the beach on a Sunday when there was work to be done; living with 4-7 other guys, which always resulted in something interesting; and knowing that the people you cared about the most, those that knew and understood you the best, were always there for you. For me, there will be many more books to read, tests to take, and skills to learn. But will those other things from college ever happen again in a similar fashion? I don’t know. I do hope, however, that in the future God place me in a community that is at least as half as rich as that of Calvin.
Am I sad? I’m not sure if that is the word I’d use—I’m excited for what lies ahead. I think I’d instead say I’m experiencing the bittersweet feelings that for me come with change. You look ahead and are eager to sprint onward and take on new challenges. Yet as you take that first stride, your other foot drags behind as you look back and see all that you are leaving. It happened when I went to high school. It happened after I worked at Doe River Gorge. It happened when I left for college. It’s part of life. I know that God has placed each and every person I’ve encountered over the years into my life for specific reasons, and I for that I am thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment