I was surfing the net and came across this blog by some guy and decided to share it:
To give a quick summary, the guy gives 10 reasons why you should not go into medicine. As someone who is about to embark on a 8-12 year journey to do exactly what he discouraging, I found his words quite interesting. Granted I haven't gone through what he has, I can't help but think that with the worldview I have, my hope in something Greater, and my wonderful support network, it wont be so bad.
At the end of his blog, the writer says:
"And the one reason why you should go into medicine:
You have only ever envisioned yourself as a doctor and can only derive professional fulfillment in life by taking care of sick people.
There’s really no other reason, and lord knows the world needs docs. Prestige, money, job security, making mom happy, proving something, can’t think of anything else to do, better than being a lawyer, etc are all incredibly bad reasons for becoming a doc.
You should become a doc because you always wanted to work for Medecins Sans Frontières and your life will be half-lived without that. You should become a doc because you want to be the psychiatrist who makes a breakthrough in schizophrenia treatment. You should become a doc because you love making sick kids feel better and being the one to reassure the parents that it’ll all be OK...But woe betide you if there’s anything else, anything at all, that would also give you that fulfillment. Because pursuit of medicine would preclude chasing down that other dream and a whole lot more – a dream that could be much bigger, much more spectacular, much more enriching for yourself and humanity than being a physician..."
I cant argue his points, but thank God I " love making sick kids feel better and being the one to reassure the parents that it’ll all be OK."
No comments:
Post a Comment