Tuesday, March 15, 2011

We made it

Saturday night was a great night. To share with you why, let me cite my friend, and future world-renown dentist, Alvin's recent blog:

"I just came back from the Derby Station with my pre-med friends. This is our first time hanging out outside the lecture halls and the labs. We decided to celebrate our admission to dental and medical schools. It was good to celebrate things that we all went through: freaking out over Ochem tests, knowing that cat carcass inside and out just to ace the 20 point anatomy quiz, bombing those practice DAT and MCAT tests 2 days before the real deal, dressing up and flying out for interviews, and of course getting that letter confirming that we will be doctors. We’re all excited. We don’t know what we are getting into. The last 4 years flew by. We’re almost there. "



After reading Alvin's post, it made me think. The five of us who hung out that night aren't best friends. In fact, if I were categorizing based on how much time we spend together outside class and such, I would probably refer to them as acquaintances. However, there is something unique about this group--something that brings us together as close friends. You see, over the past few years we have gone though some rough times, times that are difficult to explain to others. If you look back to my first post, I decided to write a blog to share my experiences because I believe the journey to become a doctor is so unique and hard to share. That's why these people in my life are different than most...they do understand. Ask any of us and we love getting together to talk about where we are at—test grades, MCAT scores, recent interviews, acceptances (and rejections). We can talk to our parents, our best friends, or our significant others, but they just don't understand completely (and sometimes they don't care...which is understandable). We’ve endured a strange process getting into medical/dental school and we have made it...together. And I believe the bonds we have made over the past few years are strong. When I think about these friends, I know that 5-10 years from now, while we may not keep in touch daily, or even monthly, we will still check-in with one another to see how things are going. 

I'm thankful for these friends and wish them the best of luck over the next years as they embark on a difficult, but exciting road ahead. And though it will be tough, I don't think we will be too surprised. We’ve prepared for this for years; we know what we are getting ourselves into. So as you read my blog in the time to come, remember that it’s just my experience and that there are many on a similar path with their own unique experiences and stories to share. 

I’ve loved my time at Calvin and I’ve met so many wonderful people. However, I’m ready to move on. I feel well prepared and excited about what God has in store. I’m excited for my friends too. I can’t wait to call them up in 4 years and have to call them Dr. or to get an email from them that says MD or DDS at the end of their name.

No comments:

Post a Comment