Alright, so I’m done with what might have been the “boring information” stuff. It may not have been super interesting to read, but I personally think it’s important to share the process I’ve had to go through to get where I am. And through the whole process, the hard work has paid off. I’ve interviewed at six of the eighteen schools I applied to, been accepted to four, wait-listed at one, and placed in this odd “purgatory” at one.
When I got my first acceptance, it was surreal. They called me and I honestly couldn’t believe it was true. I don’t mean to sound egotistic, but I’ve always done well throughout school (so when I get a good grade or something, I kind of expected it for myself and it doesn’t really hit me). Yet knowing how hard it is to get into medical school, I was speechless when I found out I had been accepted. It was quite funny too. There I was, excited beyond belief, and all the people I wanted to tell immediately (my mom, dad, girlfriend…) didn’t answer their phones! They were there for me through the thick and the thin and put up with me when I was grumpy/tired/exhausted, yet they were nowhere to be found when the news came in J
I’ve currently narrowed my acceptances down to Oakland University William Beaumont SOM (in Rochester, MI) and the University of Cincinnati COM. Now I know I shouldn’t complain, I’m in a good boat considering I have options, but I’m at a standstill. To be honest, I truly believe I would be equally happy at either school. The biggest draw for UC is the support network Annie and I would have (between my family 3 hours north and her family right there). Med school is going to be rough and many of my mentors have told me that during those times, you can’t underestimate family. UC is also ranked #3 of all med schools for pediatrics! On the other hand, OUWB is a new program; I’d be a member of their inaugural class. While that initially caused some hesitation, I’m very confident in the administration and faculty and like what I see. I just went to their Second Look weekend and feel much more educated and informed about what OUWB will look like next year. Sure there’s some risk in going with a new program, but there is also the opportunity to be a part of something new. I like the idea of making a name for myself, being innovative, and setting a tone for the type of students we will be. In a few weeks I’m heading down to UC for their Second Look day, which will be super helpful. OUWB and UC were my first two interviews, so I had forgotten a lot about what they offer. UC has also made some curricular changes, so I’m excited to hear what they have to offer.
Where do you think I should go? haha Feel free to vote via commenting on this post! I have some time though…students can hold multiple acceptances until May 15. On May 15, however, you must choose your school. Keep in touch and please be praying. We will see what He has planned…
No comments:
Post a Comment