If you know me at all, you know I'm an "all-or-nothing kind" of guy. Two summers ago (2009) when I decided I would go into medicine, I was doing some research to get more involved (read "I was going all out"). One day I came across the AAMC's AspiringDocs page, a group that works to increasing diversity in the medical field, and noticed there was a video contest going on. What would I have to do? I would need to submit a 2-minute video answering the question "what motivates you to increase diversity in medicine?"... within two weeks! I knew a ton of people would submit videos, but I figured it was worth a shot. That's how how this video was made:
And somehow I won! I was 1 of 10 winners (out of... actually, I have no idea...maybe it was just out of 11 people, wouldn't that be funny?). In deciding what to talk about, I was intentional about not limiting my answer to only racial and ethnic diversity. Coming from a middle-class socioeconomic family and a being the first in my family to go to college, I have seen how diversity wears many faces. I really enjoyed making the video because in sharing my motivations with others, I was better able to articulate my passion for medicine. As I prepared the video, I saw how deep my passion for diversity in medicine really is.
There were also some nice "perks." I was given an MCAT study guide, a big book full of all the med school entrance requirements (which came in handy), a dorky AspringDocs tote bag, and a nice monetary gift that essentially paid for both of my MCATs. I feel blessed to have won and am very grateful! Oh, and before I sign out I'd like to give a BIG shout out to Brad Jansen, who offered his time and patience filming and editing this video for me. Actually, that's probably why I won...thanks Brad!
No comments:
Post a Comment